Friday 22 June 2012

Banana Buttermilk Bread

I'm sure you have a banana bread recipe. I do too. I've been baking my recipe for years and it has never failed me. It hadn't occurred to me to change it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Until I had some leftover buttermilk. My brain started to tick buttermilk...banana...surely this is a recipe for success.

The buttermilk addition makes the banana bread even more pleasing that it already is. (if that's even possible) The buttermilk gives a softer, moister crumb and a lovely golden hue which is very pleasing to the eye. It becomes the colour I imagined banana bread would be.

This does not last very long in my house, between me, hubby and toddler it was tough to get a photograph of the slices before they disappeared.

Ingredients
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
a good pinch of salt
100g butter
100g sugar
2 eggs
2 large ripe bananas
1/2 cup buttermilk

Method
Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease a loaf pan.
In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, and salt; set aside.
Whisk together butter and sugar until light, add the eggs one at a time and the buttermilk. Add the mashed bananas and beat well until smooth. If your mixture looks a little curdled, don't worry.

Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.

Pour batter into prepared load pan. Bake for 1hour and 10mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Let it cool for 30 mins before slicing and serving.


2 comments:

  1. yum this is going to be my next baking project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yipeeee, you will not be dissapointed! Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete